Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tammy "I Am Inspired By Those Who DO Rather Than Talk"

Name: Tammy
Age: 42
Sign: Scorpio
Where did you grow up? Kokomo, IN
Where do you live now: Scottsdale, AZ
What do you do? Senior Client Manager
You can find me: In a gym, continuing to change my world.
You won't find me: In a fast food restaurant. Why are you eating all of those ridiculous calories? ;)

What charity you are passionate about? The Triangle Foundation- If you want to really make a difference in the gay community, as a straight or gay person, this is the place to do it. Forget HRC. Until they can stop filling their pockets with empty promises, join a foundation that will do something for our community.www.tri.org

1.)Who or what inspires you?
People who dedicate their lives helping others, personally or professionally. We live a life of luxury compared to most countries. We cry over the fact we can't drive a BMW or own a mansion along the ocean. We complain about gas, food, mortgage/rent, cable, and credit card bills. Yet, believe it or not, there are hundreds of millions of people on this planet who will never see anything near the life we live in this country. I'm inspired by those who throw away the "American Dream" to provide supplies to villages in Africa, those who DO rather than TALK, give medical aid, help prevent diseases, rebuild in areas devastated by natural disasters, and give everyday of their lives to those who are so much less fortunate. Finally, to those professionals who risk or even lose their lives to save or protect others; firefighters, police officers, military personnel, etc. We have so many everyday "heroes." We should all aspire to be more like them.

2.)What are you most proud of?
In 1988, I flunked out of college on purpose for love. In 2003, I embarked on an amazing journey to finish what I started 16 years earlier. For 2 solid years, I worked full time for the University and returned to college full time. I did it the hard way- sitting in classes with amazing 18 and 19 year old kids. I finished my requirements for graduation in December 2005. The proudest day of my life was walking into Continental Arena...the site of so many Springsteen concerts and across the Hudson River from my favorite city in the world (NYC) and graduating Magna Cum Laude with 3200 students.

3.)What has been your greatest loss in life?
9/11/01. My sister-in-law lost her dear brother, firefighter Michael F. Lynch, Engine 40/Ladder 35. I lived in the city and was 13 miles away that tragic day. I cannot describe the fear and saddness I felt as the events unfolded. I can never take back the reassuring words I left with my sister-in-law, "Michael's fine. He's stationed in the Bronx. They won't get that far out. Don't worry." Nobody knew Michael had been transferred to Midtown Manhattan 6 months prior and he was a first responder. My sister-in-law's loss was not my personal loss, but because I love her so dearly...the pain was unbearable to watch her family go through so much. They recovered Michael's body on March 21, 2002. His memorial was surreal. Imagine walking down the middle of the street behind Michael's body on the back of a firetruck, rounding the corner with thousands and I do mean THOUSANDS of firefighters saluting. 9/11 changed all of our worlds that day. Some 8 million of us, were just closer. She is an absolutely wonderful woman and so is her family. Every year is just as difficult as it was that day.

4.)Who would you like to meet?
Wow, how the years change your perspective. A long time ago, it would have been Jim Morrison to pick his poetic brain. I was just a kid, so please excuse me. Now, I would love to sit down and have a conversation with Bill Clinton. I would love to know what he was thinking when he had the affair with Monica, what it was like to make decisions about Bosnia and Somalia, why he took his eyes off of Osama Bin Laden and didn't kill him when he had the chance. I would love to know what its like to be the most powerful person in the world, what kept him up at night, and how he was so successful in creating a surplus with the help of Congress in our economy. He's one of the most interesting political figures we have ever had in our lifetime. He had a lot of bad with a lot of good.

5.)What is the hardest part of your day? What is the best part of your day? Hardest part of my day is waking up. I would rather sleep than eat and never seem to get enough of it because I'm a night owl. It takes me two hours to be alert enough at work and I get up two hours before work. LOL! The best part of my day is when I have a chance to spend it with friends, family (which is very rare since they live 2500 miles away) my new Aussie, Sydney, and my alone time in the gym or with my personal trainer, Erik. I LOVE my life. I truly do. There are good and bad with each and every day. But, I feel I'm the luckiest person in the world, most of the time.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin