Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Jonatha "Passionate About Doing The Right Thing"

Name: Jonatha Brooke
Age: 45
Sign: Aquarius, like Oprah, and Joe Sample! ;)
Occupation: singer/songwriter/producer
I grew up in: Boston, Massachusetts
I currently live in: New York City
You can find me: Usually on a plane, train, or automobile. Or if I'm
actually home? Knitting or watching CSI re-runs, or my new FAVORITE SHOW OF
ALL TIME: "Nurse Jackie."
You will never find me: In Times Square, unless it is an absolutely life or
death situation.

Your website or Charity you are passionate about: Greenpeace and ASPCA,
jonathabrooke.com

1.) What are you passionate about? I'm passionate about doing the right thing. And incredibly impatient with shirkers and do-wrongers and
hypocrites. I'm passionate about my family, my husband, (my husband's
cooking), my friends, and the lost art of listening. Good music and good
writing are the other essentials.

2.) What are you most proud of? My marriage makes me proud. I'm still in love after twelve years. Weak in the knees even. And there are three songs I've written that still make me well up when I hear them, or sing them.... "So Much Mine," "Because I Told You So" "My Sweet and Bitter Bowl." Ok, four, "Paris."

3.) Who has been the most influential person in your life?

I know it just sounds gushy, but my husband and my best friend Ronnie. My husband is absolutely steady, still waters. He is generous to a fault, honest even when it hurts, unrufflable in a crisis, and an incredible lover and partner. His integrity is a huge influence and daily inspiration.

My best friend Ronnie keeps me honest and in check, and she re-animates me
when I hit the creative "I suck" wall. She has stuck with me through thick
and thin and we share this empathic weakness/strength that bonds us even
though we are from totally different worlds.

4.) What is difficult for you?
The hardest thing for me is constantly having to re-callibrate my sense of
"success." I love my career, and have had an incredible path so far, filled
with respect, fabulous opportunities, and incredible musical associations.
It just never looks the way I expected when I first started out. And more
and more it is a real juggling act to piece all my worlds -- writing,
recording, producing, touring -- together into a cohesive, sustaining
living.

5.) Who would you like to meet?
You know, I would just like to see my dad again. He died at 68, way too
soon, unexpectedly, and I felt like I was just starting to crack a certain
barrier he kept up. I admire(d) him so much. In that sense it would be like
meeting him for the first time. In a second chance sort of way.

Photo Credit: Susannah Conway

Now Touring!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin