Monday, August 10, 2009

Deborah "Smiling And Finding The Good Everywhere"

Name: Deb
Age: well, I’m over 50 under 60 – when did it become ok to ask a woman her age, ok, I’m 57.
Sign: Go (er… Capricorn)
Occupation: Marketing
I grew up in: Massachusetts
I currently live in: Upstate NY
You can find me: helping someone, volunteering, smiling and finding the good everywhere
You will never find me: snarling or spending the day shopping
Your website or Charity you are passionate about: my website is http://www.hellinthehallway.net – dedicated to helping others find work

My charity is Partners In Community Development. We partner with low income housing community developers to provide services on-site including high quality, affordable child care and programs for teens, adults and seniors. Dedicated people work there. (and I love Heifer, it’s what I give and ask for instead of gifts)

1.) What are you passionate about?


Helping others. Everyday there are so many ways to help. I have been in business for many years so I volunteer with an organization known as SCORE (part of the Federal Govt’s Small Business Administration). I also work in marketing so I try, everyday to find a way to help a person, business, whatever meet their goals. Sometimes a smile or a sincere thank you is all a I need to do to help improve someone’s day.

2.) What are you most proud of?
Overcoming a difficult childhood and raising two great kids almost entirely on my own. I learned more from them than I taught them. They are now in their 20’s and are fine people. Generous, funny, kind, smart with a low tolerance for nonsense (but a high tolerance for shenanigans!)

3.) Who has been the most influential person in your life? Why? My Aunt Dorothy. She died 10 years ago at the age of 99. One of the shrewdest and kindest people I have ever known. She never said a bad thing about anyone but she could see right through you. She would accept each person for exactly who they are/were. No external judgments but you always wanted to be your best in her presence.

4.) What is difficult for you? When I was younger, I was very outgoing and my batteries got recharged by being with people. This is all changing. The older I get, the more I feel like being quiet and by myself. It’s a big adjustment and I’m comfortable and uncomfortable.


5.) Who would you like to meet?
You, you rock! Almost anyone, everyone is so cool. Musicians, poets, painters, film makers, gardeners, cooks. Anyone who works to keep the creative spark alive in themselves and their daily life. Ok, I’d like to have met Ghandi. Dali Lama, successful women entrepreneurs. I could go on and on. You get the picture.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin