Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Kathrina "I Love Life And I Want To Do It All"

First Name: Kathrina
Age: 27
Sign: Sagittarius
I grew up in: Covina, CA
I currently live in: Belmont Shore, CA
Occupation: Contract administration in the telecom industry
You can find me: Spending time with my family and friends enjoying life
You will never find me: Eating meat, forgiving intolerance, or without an opinion
Your website or Charity you are passionate about: I have been a volunteer with School on Wheels (www. schoolonwheels. org) for over a year, and have an amazing student named Hailey who I meet with at least once a week. She and her mother are such an inspiration! The program makes a tremendous difference in the lives of these homeless children, providing not only consistency often otherwise lacking in their routines, but a real chance for them to develop a love of learning that will continue to benefit them for the rest of their lives. What I love about this program is that it’s not just a hand out. In addition to providing school supplies and uniforms, SOW tutors act as mentors and form a relationship with the families, the student’s teachers, and shelters to really provide an opportunity for children to develop a strong foundation in education that will help them break the cycle of homelessness.

1.) What (person, goal, dream) gets you out of bed each day? The prospect of new challenges, making a difference, learning or experiencing something new… And on those days I really don’t want to get out of bed to go to work, I remember how lucky I am to have a job I enjoy in today’s economy. That usually does the trick.

2.) What life experience has strengthened you the most? Growing up, I was not particularly close to my father. My grandfather on my mother’s side really filled the dad role in my life. His passing ten years ago forced me to reevaluate my priorities and reconsider my focus. It was truly life changing, and I attribute the independence and motivation I have today to my desire to fulfill the commitments I made to myself then.

3.) What would you want to change about yourself? I would a little more like to be more like my mother – more generous, more patient, more gracious. We’re all a work in progress though, right? I think the great thing about this life, the thing that I find so encouraging, is that every day is an opportunity to right wrongs, to continue to grow, and to become slightly better people if we learn from our mistakes and the examples of those around us.

4.) What do you want to do before you die?
My “bucket list” is a long one, but I am proud of what I’ve already crossed off so far. I love life, and I want to do it all! So here’s the condensed version… I want to continue to travel and experience additional world cultures and traditions. I want to continue to improve my Spanish and Italian, and learn Greek (the language of my father’s family). I want to have a family. I want to be more involved in the politics of my community, and play a more active role in ending intolerance and hate, so that my future children won’t know the bigotry so many dear to me have suffered. I think I could go on for pages, but I was told to keep this short. :)

5.) What is your most prized possession? My grandfather’s Purple Heart medal from WWII
Blog Widget by LinkWithin