Friday, October 16, 2009

Kimberly "We Are Each The Sum Of Our Experiences"

Name: Kimberly
Age: 40
Sign: Leo
I grew up in: San Diego, CA
I currently live in: Big Island, Hawaii -- and wherever I happen to be traveling and doing my thing...
Occupation: writer, sociologist, storyteller -- change artist!
You can find me: performing poetry and stories, teaching classes, facilitating revelation, sitting on an airplane, floating in the sea, strolling in the jungle, practicing yoga, living well
You will never find me: complaining that I don't have a blessed life
Your Website: www.kimberlydark.com

1.) What (person, goal, dream) gets you out of bed each day?
Early on, in my work as a performer and facilitator, I was doing an interactive lecture on violence against women in the media and the audience (a young student audience who was forced to attend my talk) became hostile regarding the subject. (Yes, this sometimes happens before I've even taken the stage.) They were chanting "femi-nazi" at the back of the room and none of the school officials were making a move to quiet or correct the anger. A young woman in the front row, who seemed eager to hear me, began crying quietly and folder herself up in her chair, like she wanted to disappear. Her eyes were pleading with me to do something because clearly, she couldn't. In that context, she felt threatened and alone. What motivates me is a belief that individual brilliance, action and justice is either thwarted or encouraged by the systems in which we live. I want a world in which it's easier for people to behave with decency and compassion. And I think it's possible to create those systems, that world. I want that young woman to feel empowered to give her gifts in the world. We're all missing out if she doesn't.

2.) What life experience has strengthened you the most?
All of them. It would be difficult to say that one event, or one person has influenced me above all others. I think we are each the sum of our experiences. We are each in the process of becoming who we are.

3.) What would you want to change about yourself?
Just keep learning, keep growing, keep loving.

4.) Describe the landscape of the place you grew up. How did that landscape affect you?
San Diego is a desert -- a lot of succulent plants -- jade and aloe. I lived near the sea and still never want to be far from it. I don't think I learned a true connection to earth and sea and sky until I moved to Hawaii, however. I am so grateful to the 'aina here and my kumus, for helping me remember my connection -- and responsibility -- to the earth.

5.) What is your most prized possession?

Love
Blog Widget by LinkWithin