Friday, July 31, 2009

Karen "Kitten Rescuer"

Name: Karen
Age: 52
Sign: Libra
Occupation: Chiropractor
I grew up in: Greater Detroit area
I currently live in: Chico, CA
You can find me: On the golf course
You will never find me: At a Christian rally.

1.) What are you passionate about? Motorcycles. After getting in a wreck this summer and fracturing my clavicle, I questioned about ever riding again. Months went by without it ever healing so while I was in a sling , I bought 2 more . I am in the process of restoring (using the term lightly) an old Yamaha Seca and tooling around on my old school scooter. Fun!

2.) What are you most proud of? That I played two sports at Michigan State. Back in the day, it didn’t seem like much of an accomplishment, but when I look back it was a pretty cool thing. A few years back, they had a recognition/acknowledgment weekend and gave all of us our varsity letter. I have great memories of those years and feel a real connection to the University. I bleed green….. Go State.

3.) What has been the most life altering experience for you? Several years back I spent a summer caring for some kittens that were rescued from the Sacramento pound. A friend went down and took about 30 from that facility. I ended up with 5 that lost their mom in the first week of there life. I spent hours nursing them, bathing them, etc. Around the 8th to the 10th week 3 died from different causes. It was heartbreaking. I was holding each one of them on my chest as they passed. I haven’t ever cried so hard before, or since. I learned a lot about death and helping them make the transition.

4.) What do you want to do when you grow up? I want to get married. The passing of Proposition 8 was a real disappointment. I never thought much about getting married before. Being a Lesbian for over 30 years, it never seemed like it was ever a possibility for me. Then it was a reality and I had to think about it as a possibility. Several friends got married over the summer. It was so good to witness their love and commitment. One day….


5.) What (person, goal, dream) gets you out of bed each day? My dog Jack. He kisses my face when it is time to get up. I am a very responsible person and that means starting the day taking care of my animals. Making coffee is next.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin